Friday, February 15, 2013

My little slice of heaven

 The seeds (mostly flowers remember) sorted and grouped according to the week that they will be started.

 The planting calendar inside my gardening binder.  I take advantage of the free bank calendar and cut out the months I need.  Then I hole punch it and put it in my gardening binder.  I start the week before plant out (Mothers day here) and label the weeks all the way back to week 16.  In a perfect world, my Belladonna seeds would have been here already started germinating at week 16.  But they are supposedly in the mail.  

 The germination station.  This is a new journey of mine this year.  Thanks to some loans from very kind friends, I have heat mats, a germination box and a mini blocker.  I have also acquired cheap grow lights (yeah!  Menards Christmas gift certificate!!) This should be up and running sometime next week with my Echinacea, Hyssop and Eucalyptus, or as soon as Fed-Co and UPS get me the rest of my blocking supplies.

 And here, the next kind loan from generous friends.  All I had to do was tell everyone I knew about how much I love to work in a greenhouse, and suddenly I hear "we have this mini greenhouse sitting in our barn that we aren't using..." 
 Thank You Jesus!!!  I tell you, if you really have a passion for something, and it is within the bounds of your vocation, God is happy to provide!  And what better Valentines present can a loving husband give his wacky greenhouse loving wife than to spend his day on Feb. 14th getting, and setting up a teeny tiny greenhouse.
Sitting to the left and unseen behind are the coldframes built by the same sweet devoted husband.  They will be used for tougher plants, extra space as well as for hardening off when the time comes.  This year, I hope to move 2 of them to the garden and prep a bed to do winter greens for the following winter.  

And the interior.  It ain't much, but, it's all I need.  And, the best part, it SMELLS like a greenhouse!  There is nothing better than greenhouse smell in February!

1 comment:

  1. What an ambitious Mama! I look forward to following your progress and having a flower garden to look at from afar.

    ReplyDelete