Thursday, March 7, 2013

Kvass.....again.....

My relationship with Kvass has been a rocky one.  I am desperate for Kvass, yet Kvass keeps eluding me.  I am actually desperate for a good pro-biotic drink that does not require sugar, and Kvass seems to be the way to go.  It is also great for your liver, and who doesn't need a good liver tonic?

So, the other night I was inspired by this blog's recipe for Kvass, and thought I might as well give it a go.  I have failed so many times with the Kvass, what is one more try?  

So, along with some beets and salt, I used the ingredients you see below (cloves, cardamom, ginger and Kefir starter culture)  I read you can reduce the amount of salt if you use the starter culture, so I gave that a try.



Well, here she is.  Ready to ferment for a week in my cold house.  Did you know that those dumb  bracelets that are shaped like cartoon characters that are all trendy right now make great rubber-bands to hold the cheesecloth on the gallon jar?  

God willing, the Kvass will not be rotten awful as my past batches have been.  Kvass is supposed to be for my family, NOT for the chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment