Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The seeds have begun

Teeny tiny seeds.  So tiny that over 1,000 came in the package!  They will be, God willing, a massive patch of white Foxglove.  I used the wet toothpick method to put the seeds one by one onto the soil blocks.  It worked great. 

 Bigger Echinacea seeds.  These I could sow with my fingers.  Again, if the germination happens according to Elliot Colemans predictions, I will have a massive Echinacea patch to harvest roots from in 2 years.

 This is my mini seed block marker.  It is just freezer tape on a toothpick to make a little flag to stick in the soil block to mark the plants.  

 A plug for two of my favorite seed companies.
I especially love Select, because they specialize in heirloom and scented flowers.

 The lineup of seeded mini blocks!

 Aren't they teeny tiny?  I was stumped on what to do for my seed trays, because the holes in the bottom were enormous compared to these little guys.  I knew my husband was not going to get to making me wooden seed trays this year.  So the smart man came up with the thrifty idea of cutting up waxed produce boxes to line the bottom of my already purchased trays.  Seems to work well.

The finished set up.  The seed trays filled with the seeded soil blocks in the germination box with the heat-mats and the lights going for warmth in my frigid basement.  Once they germinate and are ready for transplanting into the bigger blocks, they will graduate to the greenhouse.

I had a wonderful morning working with my 2 little helpers who mixed my soil and helped me to make the blocks.  Future farmers?  hopefully!  Then the sweet man I call husband helped me to sow the seeds.  He had a fast lesson in hand seeding and using a toothpick on seeds as small as Linaria and Heliotrope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment